Monday, May 5, 2008

Get me away from Margaritaville!


Last week we had a going away party for someone here at my day job. Whenever this happens it's sometimes a nightmare because someone has to choose a place where 25-30 people will be happy or at least content. This is what brought me to Margarita's on St. John St.


Now normally I wouldn't waste my time writing about such a place but there was something that really annoyed me. The place was packed!!!!!


The lobby was full when we entered. My sweetie Denae and I snaked our way through the crowd and were immediately met with a look from the hostess that was one of slight disgust as if she were saying "Are you two crazy, you'll never get a table!". Even though we made eye contact it took her another several minutes to acknowledge me because she had to finish her benign conversation with a waitress.

The rest of our group had been there for a 1/2 hour or so and were having a great time. Now there is something to be said about servers who handle large parties such as ours. They either are horrible and confused or perky and efficient. We luckily had the latter. She and the Dos XX's were the only highlights of this place.


Jenn was very efficient taking our order and was prompt bringing back our watered down margarita's. They say that alcohol and caffeine dehydrate the system. Not these babies! They were so watered down I was able to get two days worth of hydration. I immediately ordered a tall Dos XX's to do the job.

The food. Not much I can say about it. Like most "Mexican" chain restaurants the menu is the same. One big huge mess! The food arrived promptly but I would've been happier if it didn't arrive at all. My spicy chipotle wings were deep fried with no discernible flavoring at all. The flavoring was some sour cream mixture in a tortilla "cup". Denae's chimichanga had plenty to it but absolutely no flavor at all. I recommend avoiding this place like the plague. The next time I want sub par food I'll go to Taco Bell with a 6 pack of Schlitz.

Normally I wouldn't waste my time writing about a place let alone go there, but as I said before this place was packed!!! There are many choices here in Portland. Many of them good choices so why was this place so special?

My purpose for writing about this embarrassing experience is to encourage people to go out and try the little guys. The independents who work hard to give you good, honest, real food! Like La Familia on Brighton Ave. or Tu Casa on Washington. It would be nice to see those businesses packed every night! Buy Local, Eat Local!


No comments: